Team Defence-Information Bulletin - May 2021
May and June promise to be busy months with TD-Info jointly hosting several key online events; see below for details of the forthcoming SupportNet 2021 (18 May), the Ethics in Artificial Intelligence (AI) Conference (26 May), and the Defence Information 2021 (DI21) virtual event (16-17 June).
SupportNet 2021 (SupportNET21) Conference 18 May 2021
TD-Info is pleased to support the MOD with hosting SupportNET21 which offers a platform for leading figures from the MOD and UK Defence Industry to reflect on the outcomes and implications of the recent Integrated Review, Command Plan and Defence & Security Industrial Strategy as well as developments since the creation of the Defence Support organisation a year ago. The event will offer perspectives from across the spectrum of Defence, Front Line Commands, industry and international allies on the challenges and opportunities for Support and Industry, guided by the Defence Support (DefSp) Strategy. Confirmed keynote speakers include:
- Jeremy Quin MP, Minister of State for Defence Procurement
- Lt Gen Richard Wardlaw OBE, MOD Chief of Defence Logistics and Support (CDLS)
- Lt Gen Robert Magowan CB CBE, Deputy Commander UK Strategic Command
- LtGen Charles G Chiarotti USMC, Deputy Commandant, Installations and Logistics, HQ USMC
- Maj Gen Simon Hamilton CBE, Director Support, Army Headquarters
- Air Vice Marshall Paul Lloyd CBE, Chief of Staff - Support, HQ Air Command
- Mr Roger West, Director Logistics and Support, Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S)
- Industry representative from the Defence Suppliers Forum (DSF)
Attendance at SupportNET21 is free via a third-party portal here. Please note, you will need to register a new account separate to your TD-Info login credentials. For further information contact Kevin Atkins. There will be a limited opportunity to exhibit virtual trade stands (maximum 50) by registering here.
New TD-Info Lead Sponsors - We are pleased to announce that PA Consulting and Palantir are now Lead Sponsors for TD-Info. PA Consulting provide innovation and transformation consulting services across government and private sectors. Palantir ‘builds platforms for integrating, managing and securing data’ and provides ‘human-driven, machine assisted analysis’.
Ethics in AI Conference – 26 May - In recent years we have seen an exponential growth in the adoption and deployment of AI across many industries and sectors. The ethical and responsible adoption of this technology is paramount for building public trust and enabling the true benefits of AI to be recognised. The conference is a free virtual event run in collaboration between TD-Info and techUK and hosted by Maj Gen Tom Copinger-Symes CBE. It will explore how AI is currently being used in defence and deep-dive into some of the key ethical issues associated with its application, through a series of presentations, panel debates and Q&A sessions.Further programme details and how to register is available on our website here or by contacting Luca Leone.
Defence Information 2021 (DI21) - 16 to 17 June - Have you booked your place for DI21 which is jointly organised by MOD Defence Digital and Team Defence Information?
DI21 provides a highly informative forum for the ‘Team Defence’ community to discuss MOD strategic initiatives, exchange information, and become engaged in collaborative MOD/Industry Working Groups. Charlie Forte, MOD CIO, will join other senior MOD and Industry keynote speakers in discussing this year’s theme “Exploiting the Defence Digital Backbone”.
DI21 will also include interesting panel discussions on Digital Transformation, Cloud Services, the JIG Vanguard, and Transatlantic Relationships.
Full programme details and how to register is available on our website here. There is also the opportunity to exhibit a virtual stand. For further information on DI21 and how to become a sponsor please email Steve Shepherd or Sue Russell.
Future Events - A number of notable events are coming up in the next few months:
Knowledge Management - Initial Briefing Session – 9 June - For MOD Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), knowledge management presents a key strategic risk which is subject to a high priority strategy and policy review to ensure that valuable information and people knowledge is protected and shared. Adrian Baguley, DE&S Director General Strategic Enablers, is keen to share the draft DE&S Knowledge Management Vision & Strategy with Team Defence Information Members to see what they think and to widen the pool of Best Practice. TD-Info will be hosting a briefing session on 9 June at 09:00 hrs. If you would like to attend please register your free place here or contact Will Tuohy for more information.
Team Defence Information AGM and Council Meeting - 22 June - The next TD-Info AGM and Council Meeting will be held on 22 June. For further details please contact Will Tuohy.
ASD-STE100 Simplified Technical English (STE) Training Courses - 12 to 15 July online. The next STE course is an instructor-led online course on 12, 13, 14 and 15 July from 09:00 - 12:30 (GMT). Previous attendees say that they like:
- Applying STE to their own documents to get feedback from the facilitator and each other
- Attending 4 half-day sessions to give time to reflect and stay up-to-date with work
- Being fully engaged and actively sharing ideas and opinions
- Getting practical tips to help them to realize the value of STE
Each course has a maximum of 3-6 attendees to guarantee opportunities to fully interact and to have individual feedback from the facilitator. Register here or contact Ciaran Dodd to arrange your own tailored training course.
MOD Strategic Command - Multi-Domain Integration (MDI) Industry Day – 24 June - Steve Hyde, Multi Domain Integration Head, will update industry on the aims of the MDI concept, how the change programme has been constructed and offer operational insights to the benefits of MDI. The event will discuss Defence’s vision of MDI following the Integrated Review and how investments meet the dependencies of MDI. The MOD is planning for a physical event at the Defence Academy, Shrivenham, dependent on COVID-19 restrictions. Registration details will be available shortly; a briefing pack is available here. For more information please contact Leyton Lark.
Recent Events - A number of key Working Groups (WG) and notable events have recently taken place:
Future Technology Workplace - TD-Info recently hosted a series of 5 webinars to investigate and discuss how technology might enable new ways of working in a post COVID-19 world. The webinars, sponsored by MOD Defence Digital, have all proved very productive and informative with wide participation from across MOD and the defence industry. Recordings of the discussions and presentations are available for TD-Info Members to view here. Key findings and recommendations from the webinars are being compiled and will be published shortly. If you would like further information please contact Will Tuohy.
Defence Support Force Development Board (DSFDB) Sub Working Groups (SWGs) - Last month we announced the realignment of the DSFDB SWGs following the release of the Integrated Review, Command Paper and Defence Climate Change & Sustainability Strategy (highlighting published)? the latest 2021 programme of events:
- Defence Support Supply Chain - previously known as Additive Manufacturing
o 15 July 21
o 18 November 21
• Defence Support Data (previously Artificial Intelligence (AI)
o 12 May 21 (MOD Only)
o 19 August 21
o 2 December 21
• Defence Support Distribution – previously Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS)
o 5 May 21
o 16 September 21
o 10 January 21
o 17 June 21
o 21 October 21
o 22 February 21
Several of these reinvigorated SWGs met last month to share experience of practice, process, and technology to identify use cases and build a roadmap of activities (Defence and Non-Defence) that will generate the evidence base to underpin future Defence Support Concept, Capability and Transformation development. The output from the recent Sustainable Defence Support SWG Meeting on 27 April is now available here. If you would like further details or become involved please contact Steve Green.
Publications of Interest - Project Theseus - The MOD is inviting tenders for Project Theseus which is a commercial Framework Agreement for experimentation tasking(s) in the field of Autonomous Logistics. Framework tasking can range in scope and scale from small-scale procurement or funded demonstrations, to financial contributions towards development of a complete technological solution to Project Theseus. The tender value is £12.5m (exc VAT) and responses are to be submitted before 19 May 2021. Further information is available here or by contacting Bradley Hayward.
Key Dates for May and June 2021 - Please check the TD-Info website Calendar here to confirm details and how to join as these are subject to change:
- 4 May – JISCOT
- 4 May – Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) Tools WG Meeting
- 5 May - Defence Support Distribution SWG – previously Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS)
- 6 May - Supportability Case Working Group
- 10 May – CUPA Pilot Delivery Group Meeting
- 10 to 13 May – ASD-STE100 Simplified Technical English (STE) Training Course
- 12 May - Defence Support Data SWG (previously Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- 17 May - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) Tools WG Meeting
- 18 May – SupportNet 2021 Conference
- 25 May - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) SOM RACI WG Meeting
- 26 May - Team Defence Executive Meeting
- 26 May – Ethics in AI Conference
- 1 Jun - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) Tools WG Meeting
- 3 Jun – Supply Chain and Support Engineering Working Group (SCSEWG) Meeting
- 7 Jun – Industry Customers Engagement Forum (ICEF)
- 8 Jun - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) SOM RACI WG Meeting
- 9 Jun – TD-Info Executive Group - Knowledge Management - Initial Briefing
- 10 Jun – Team Defence Strategy Group Meeting
- 14 Jun – JISCOT
- 14 Jun - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) Tools WG Meeting
- 15 Jun - Supportability Modelling and Analysis WG Meeting
- 16-17 Jun – Defence Information 2021 (DI21) Conference
- 17 Jun - Sustainable Defence Support SWG
- 22 Jun – Team Defence Information Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Council Meeting
- 22 Jun - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) SOM RACI WG Meeting
- 24 Jun - Multi-Domain Integration (MDI) Industry Day – MOD Event
- 28 Jun - Forecast and Resource Planning (F&RP) Tools WG Meeting
- 30 Jun – Team Defence Executive Team Meeting
- 12-15 July – STE Training
Forthcoming Events - Non Team Defence-Info
Allan Webb is offering a wide range of through life support training courses in June identified here that are endorsed by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT). For further details please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Added: 6th May 2021