Augmented, Virtual & Mixed (AVM) Reality in the Defence Support Network - 26 Sep 18; download presentations
Go to the TD-Info Support & Information Innovation Community of Interest (SII-COI) to download presentations and content relating to the topic of Augmented, Virtual & Mixed Reality [ARVRMR] at the session on ARVRMR in Defence Support Engineering, held on 26 September 2018, hosted by DXC Technology.
Organisations presenting included DXC Technoliogy, SAAB, Threorm, the University of Birmingham, Boeing Defence UK, PTC and PwC.
The Report findings on this ARVRMR event included:
- Rapid advancement in technology to create immersive environments and enable operators, designers and maintainers to ‘interact’ with virtual products and/or have their environment supplemented with information
- Use of the technology for training is prevalent across industries while logistic, design and field service applications remain in the realm of early adapters
- With significant potential benefits across the lifecycle, rapid development is anticipated
- Early adopters have already run pilots and are looking to progress to production
- Manufacture and field service pilots have identified significant benefits in improved user experience, reduce waste and effectiveness of logistic and support
- The technology and potential use cases should be further explored and considered for inclusion in the Engineering Support Transformation roadmap
- Incremental development should start with pilots turning CAD information into virtual representations to support assessment and demonstrations stages, subsequently augmenting these models with product data
- Opportunities to align training simulators with actual design documentation should also be identified
Added: 11th October 2018